Happy Independence Day America! How about a little quiz to see how much you know about this great country?
1) In which battle did the British army surrender near Freeman’s Farm? (hint: it took place in a state whose name is made up of two words)
2) At what price did Thomas Jefferson, President and the main author of the Constitution, negotiate a deal with Napoleon to buy Louisiana? (hint: it was not negotiated in francs)
3) When was the first Independence Day celebrated? (no hints)
4) What is the only royal palace in the US? Bonus marks if you know where that palace is! (it’s located south of the Mason-Dixon line)
5) What state in the U.S. has the smallest population? (no hints)
6) What is the oldest city in the US? (hint: it’s also south of the Mason-Dixon line)
7) What and where is the first place in the continental U.S. on which each morning’s sun shines? (hint: remember from which direction the sun rises)
8) What is the tallest mountain in the U.S.? (hint: this one is north of the Mason-Dixon line)
9) What’s the windiest site in the U.S.? Bonus points if you can also tell me when the highest winds ever were recorded in the U.S. and how fast they were. (Hint: think East.)
10) In the contiguous U.S., what two points are geographically farthest apart? Bonus points if you can also tell how far apart they are. (no hints for this one)
11) Which three states are named after famous women? Bonus points if you can also tell which women they were named after. (No hints because the actual names of the states is far too easy to guess!)
12) What two states are surrounded and touched by the most other states? (Hint: these two states are fairly close to each other. If you know me, another hint is that I’ve been on vacation to both of these states.)
13) Why was 1 Cherry Street, New York important in US history? (Hint: The function of this building was later moved to another location.)
14) What is the most popular place name in the US? (no hints…it’s really easy actually!)
15) Who was the first black man to serve in the U.S. Senate? Bonus points if you can tell me where he was from. (no hints because I can’t think of any)
16) Who was the first woman elected to Congress? Bonus points if you can name where she was from and what party she belonged to! (again, no hints because I can’t think of any)
17) Not counting Alaska, what state in the U.S. is the farthest north? (no hints because it would make it too easy)
18) What state is only touched by one other state? (Hint: think east).
19) In what state is there an area that is not part of the U.S. for three days a year? Bonus points if you can explain why it’s not part of the US for three days a year. (Hint: Think west.)
20) What is the only state in the Union to have lived under six different flags? Bonus points if you can name all 6 flags. (Hint: it’s south of the Mason-Dixon line)
Answers will be posted by tomorrow.